I listen to a lot of podcasts so you don't have to. Each month I'll share the best episodes.
If you're new to Podcasts, I'd recommend Overcast for the iPhone.
News & politics
- The unexpectedly good Private Eye podcast with a revolving doors special – the questionable trend to comfy jobs after a political career.
- The Spectator: Labour’s indestructibles: Can anything stop the hard left?. They argue that even a catastrophic loss in 2020 wouldn't change the move left.
- An old interview with Neil Kinnock on his life in politics. Some of the issues he faced are back again today
Tech & geek stuff
- Andreesen Horowitz (A16Z) do the best VC podcasts. I expected this special on 'pre-commerce' or 'pre-tail' would be jargonny and shallow, but it's full of surprising insights.
- Similarly, A16Z on microservices is a must listen. Using Netflix as an example, they explain how servers are no longer rented by the year, day or hour – but by the millisecond. It's pretty transformative in terms of getting dev done so worth knowing about.
Arts & misc
- Great interview with Hunter Davies who had extraordinary access to the Beatles in their heyday. Fabulous anecdotes.
Got any podcast recommendations? Email me.