I listen to a lot of podcasts so you don't have to. Each month I'll share the best episodes.
If you're new to Podcasts, I'd recommend Overcast for the iPhone.
News, business & politics
- Howard Schultz on Starbucks – it's hard to get big and stay small. Great interview with someone I didn't expect to like, but did.
- The Eddie Mair Interview: Life as an Undercover Cop. Amazing, hair-raising insights into the life of an undercover drug cop.
- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Radio Host Bob Garfield on Trump and Telemarketing. I'd not heard of this guy before, but there are some great anecdotes about what it means to be a journalist and broadcaster.
- Best of Today: Trump v Clinton: The Paxman verdict. Funny and pointed short chat with Paxman. Makes me wish he was still on telly.
- Best of Today: Inside the Bronte rock musical. More interesting than it sounds. Those sisters were pretty radical.
Tech & geek stuff
- Benchmark partner Bill Gurley: Too much money is my biggest problem. Great, approachable, interview with a seasoned VC. Wise words on investing and not as obnoxious as the title suggests.
- ‘Iron Man’ director Jon Favreau on pushing virtual reality to the limit. Favreau comes across as smart and insightful re the impact of tech upon entertainment
- O'Reilly Media Podcast: Joshua Browder on bots that fight bureaucracy. Over-long (just listen to the first 10 minutes), but zeitgeisty tale of the student building bots to fight bureaucracy.
Arts & misc
- On the merits of messiness. Great piece from the FT with a terrible title. It's all about the creative process and why it's a destructive gesture to ask people to keep a tidy desk.
- Christopher Guest on Spinal Tap and the ‘mockumentary’. Short and very funny interview
- Ian Hislop on 30 years as editor of Private Eye. This from their own (surprisingly good) podcast. Can you believe he was editor at 26?
- ‘The Late Late Show’ host James Corden hates ‘the cloud’. Very listenable interview with the suddenly famous Corden.
Got any podcast recommendations? Email me.